Shock is a life-threatening condition and occurs when vital organs do not get enough oxygen due to reduced blood circulation. 

The most common cause of shock is severe blood loss.

Signs of shock include pale, cold and clammy skin, a rapid and weak pulse, fast and shallow breathing, sweating, nausea and thirst 

If you suspect shock,  

  • Call 999, and if you can’t, ask someone else to do so 

  • Lie down with your legs raised higher than the rest of your body and supported

  • Wrap yourself in coats or blankets to keep warm 

  • Avoid food and drinks in case there is a need for a general anaesthetic in hospital  

Visit for further information